I got it done! (and with plenty of time to spare!) The binding went on really well. I modified the instructions in The Quilter’s Bible a little bit to ensure that I would have straight edges (and I could do that because it was just a plain border and not pieces). I used 3″ strips approximately 35″ long, folded in half and pressed. I first sewed a 1/4″ seam along the edge of the binding. Then I ensured that the edge was straight by using my 36″ ruler and rotary cutter. The first side that I did was definitely bowed out in the middle, so I’m really glad I did this. After I cut off the excess batting and backing fabric, I sewed another seam 3/8″ from that new edge. Because I did this, I didn’t have a lot of binding left to fold over (especially in the middle where it was bowed out) and do the stitch-in-the-ditch technique to catch the back part of the binding. I tried, but there were gaps. So, I ripped that out and decided to hand-stitch it on. That took a while, but it gave a much more refined, even finish to the binding.
. . . . . . . . . .
For the hanging sleeve, I cut a 6″ x 33″ strip of white fabric, doubled-folded and hemmed the short ends, then sewed a 3/8″ seam down the long way. The center seam was pressed open and centered. I attached it by hand to the back near the top of the wall hanging. I found a 1/4″ x 1 1/2″ x 36″ piece of oak molding at Home Depot that I cut down to 32 1/2″. After sanding it just a bit, I drilled a couple holes on the ends for a couple little nails. I think this should work perfectly for hanging! Really simple, too! If those little nails (which I’ll include) don’t hold, the holes can always be drilled bigger for a screw or something.
Even the back looks awesome! This would make a cool whole-cloth design. It’s really a shame that no one will see the back. But, the front really is prettier. 😉 I just need to come up with a label to attach to the back, and then I really will be done with the project.