5D Design Creator – King Boo Applique


I’ve had my 5D Professional embroidery software for quite a while now, and I really haven’t jumped into the design creator module like I had hoped I would. The other day, that all changed. I ignored the pesky things like food and sleep, and spent all day learning the ins and outs of designing my own embroideries from scratch. I learned a ton! So, without further delay, here is what I worked on and what I learned during the process…

Ghosty Applique

Here is the first attempt at the Ghosty Applique:

The Good:
– Eyes: his eyes turned out really well. I used a satin fill area for the eyes, and the continuous column for his eyebrows (that way I could achieve a tapered end).
– Jump stitches: I programmed jump stitches for ever time I moved to a new area. This was really important in order to eliminate running stitches traveling from area to area and also to ensure the start and end points of each area corresponded correctly.
-The running stitch that gives his “arms” and “tail” some definition.
-The applique process for placement worked perfectly!

The Not-So-Good:
– The satin stitch outline was too thin. 1.3mm seemed really big when I viewed it in the “create” window, but when it stitched out, it was too skinny and couldn’t grab the applique fabric to secure it. Recommended minimum width for satin stitch outlines on appliques should be no less than 3mm.
– The crown was too small to really get good resolution for the outline. Recommend fill-stitching the crown instead of applique.
– The tongue and teeth were not quite dense enough. The default setting is 4.
-There is gapping between the face and the tongue due to lack of overlap of fabric and/or stitches.

Ghosty Applique – Take 2

For this one, I decided to completely eliminate the border satin stitch. This was a good adjustment, especially since I wanted to place him on a dark background.

To attach the applique, I used a “Motif” stitch. This is the blanket stitch used to hold the white fabric onto the design.

I also adjusted the density of the tongue and teeth, but discovered that a higher number in the density box does not get me more density. It’s the opposite!

 

This density adjustment also affected the crown that I designed to be a fill-stitch element this time.

Since this is an applique design, I needed to create a “die line” file so I could cut out my fabric pieces. Once the design process was finished, I opened the embroidery and selected only the colors corresponding to the outlines I created for placement. (For each fabric applique piece, I created 2 outlines: a placement outline and an attaching outline.) I copied only those 2 colors and pasted them into a new embroidery design window, saving that file as the die line file. This one is then printed from the program at 100% scale, which makes it the perfect cutting template! Using spray adhesive, I stuck the template to the right side of the fabric applique, then cut it out. This part of my design worked out great! Here is the print preview for the body dieline:

Overall, the second attempt was much improved and gave me a much better foundation for my next design: Yoshi!

– Stephanie

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s