I am thrilled any time I can combine art with functionality, which is exactly what my new stabilizer organizer is!
I found the idea and pattern here: http://www.sewitalltv.com/content_downloads/Stabilizer_Organizer_web.pdf.
There were some minor changes that I made that seemed to work well for my situation.
First, I used designs that I already had in my embroidery file library. I found them at Embroidery Library on sale a while back and couldn’t resist. This was the perfect spot to display them!
Second, I used very heavy weight Pellon Peltex 71F stabilizer that was fusible on one side. It makes a wonderfully sturdy backing! Because it was so sturdy, I did a traditional quilt binding instead of the envelope method used in the pattern.
Third, I only used 4 pockets (instead of 5). Quite honestly, I didn’t understand the directions regarding how the pockets were supposed to be attached to the backing. In the end, I pinned them on allowing some sagging to hold the stabilizer rolls and then tested them with the actual roles of stabilizer. For ease of stitching, I added binding along the top of the pocket so I could stitch it to the backing more easily. The bottom of the pocket was secured using a zigzag stitch (width 4.0, length 2.5). See the below picture and caption for measurement details.
– Machine: Designer Epic (embroidery), Designer Ruby (assembly)
– Stabilizer: 1 layer of medium-weight fusible cutaway (which I left in)
– Needle: 75/11 Embroidery (Inspira)
– Tension: default using traditional system on Epic (deLuxe system not working)
– Hoop: 120mm x 120mm
– Software: Premier+ Embroidery Extra
– Applique: no